Labels

Monday, April 4, 2011

Preparing the Garden


I am excited to say that I have made much more progress in preparing my garden than I thought I would over the last couple of weeks.  I decided to start with a raised bed to allow for better drainage.  The garden is 22 feet x 4 feet.  The cobblestones that were given to me are perfect for the border!  Above is a picture of the border building in progress. 



After digging and filling buckets for what seemed an eternity, we were able to transfer soil from another area and raise the flower bed.  I also mixed in two large bags of peat moss this past Saturday and made sure to remove any rocks that were left behind. Soil testing revealed that the pH level is 6.0.  Most garden plants do well in soil with a pH between 5.5 and 6.5.  I mixed fertilizer into the soil and now the garden is ready for planting! 

Money Spent to Date:  $102.25  (This includes 2 large bags of peat moss, bulbs, seeds, and soil test kit).

No comments:

Post a Comment