Labels

Friday, April 15, 2011

Eggshells Fertilize the Garden?

I love my daily visits from the deer.  They have made themselves quite comfortable in my yard and surrounding woods and while I love to watch them, I have been worried about them devouring my garden.  I ask myself often, how can I make my flowers unappealing to them?

I stumbled across an article stating that eggshells, crushed and sprinkled in the garden and around the plants, may deter deer.  Another positive is that eggshells are composed of the same nutrients that are found in commercial fertilizers.  Eggshells are 93% calcium carbonate, 1% nitrogen and 0.5% phosphoric acid.  This makes them an excellent fertilizer. 

Too good to be true?  How can something I use every day be so helpful in the garden and save tons of money?  I plan to find out.  Check back often for updates on my eggshell fertilizer/deer deterrent experiment.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion! I am so glad you started this blog! I am now an official subscriber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm.....I'm not sure about this one. But give it a try. I have lived around deer my whole life and i'm also a avid hunter....and have found nothing to deter them. I know people that have tried everything from moth balls, sulfur, scare crowns, pie pans....and nothing work except an electric fence. They eventually get used to something and it won't bother them.

    On the other hand, crushed eggshells will deter snails. They won't crawl over them because it will cut them up. They also looove beer. If you put a shalloe dish of beer out, they will come to it and die :-).

    Let me know how the deer project goes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the tips! I have never heard of putting beer in the garden to get rid of snails, but will definitely put this information to use if/when they become a problem. :)

    As far as eggshells being a deer deterrent, I am also very skeptical, but thought it was worth a try! I'll let you know how it goes...

    ReplyDelete